Clojure Ide: LightTable

Ok it has been some time since I start using clojure.
I have to restart... and what is better than starting with the IDE.
I want to give LightTable a try again, it was interesting last time I tried it.
It's open source (under MIT) and I like the design.
Here the first problems I find, I'm used to projects, so I would like to see a "Start new project" or something like that. Instead in LightTable you don't have that. Actually you don't have either a way to start easily a clojure project....
Ok let's read docs..
"With Clojure...
  1. In the view menu click the commands item (or press Ctrl+Space)
Where is the commands item....., ok I go with the Ctrl+Space, but I don't like when they point me to something that don't exist...
Ok after a little (10 minutes... not so little) I was able to figure out how it works, you create a folder, then you open the folder and it become your workspace.
Actually I would have like a way to create a workspace (also if is a folder), it not so intuitive to open a workspace "folder", just remove the workspace name and I will be happy :D
But ok I have created the first 'workspace' now I will have to refresh my clojure memory. See you soon.

After a while:
Delete file --- double confirm by default.... not user friendly

ps: I will do the cms in a way that people that are reading a post will be able to see if is a 'Real Time post', I like to write while I'm doing things, it helps me  remember things, and this can be interesting if I also have a chat on right where people can ask me for things... I will do that


After another half an hour:
Sorry, LightTable is out, I want to change the clojure version, I can't find a way.
Sorry for that, I like the design but is not user friendly.

15 minutes after:
Installed Leiningen, created a project, opened the folder with LightTable, ok the clojure version is the one I set in the lein project file.... let's go ahead and continue with LightTable (it remains that it's not very user friendly)

Comments

  1. So, I typed a comment, hit preview and it is gone, skip it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh, luckily for now I didn't had this problem.

      Delete
  2. Seriously, did you even try?

    "Where is the commands item....., ok I go with the Ctrl+Space, but I don't like when they point me to something that don't exist..."

    'In the view menu click the commands item' - 'In the view menu' - 'VIEW MENU' Now that was hard, wasn't it.

    "10 minutes... not so little" You poor guy, you'll never get this time back you wasted for blindly trying around instead of reading the docs and thinking.

    "After another half an hour:
    Sorry, LightTable is out, I want to change the clojure version, I can't find a way." That's what your project.clj is for.

    "15 minutes after:
    Installed Leiningen, created a project" Congratulations, that's the first step one always takes to start a Clojure project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zilti, as I said in my new post, also with some problems I think LightTable is great to start.
      Actually I work often on the client side, and I like to create UI that my customers feels comfortable with. When I started using LightTable I didn't had this sensation, I felt somehow lost in the way he menage things.
      This are all suggestion for the LightTable creator, imagine the difference if, when you open LightTable for the first time, it create for you a leiningen project when you select new project in the file list, also the great sensation that you will have if you open a .clj and the instarepl automatically connect, by giving you the powerful auto complete that LightTable have without you having to understand that you have to do that.

      Delete

Post a Comment